Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Watch out BOSTON MARATHON...Here comes Vingnation!

As some of you may or not be aware I qualified for the Boston Marathon last spring. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. I needed to cross the line of the Mississauga Marathon under 3 hours and 40 minutes. I set out with a goal of 3 hours and 30 minutes..Some might say it was aggressive, some of my friendsies might even say it was Vingressive BUT I set out with this goal in the forefront and achieved it! It was truly amazing! I could not wait for my road to Boston 2010. However in late 2009, I came across a roadblock. The 2010 Boston Marathon had sold out. How could this happen you ask? I know I was asking myself this for days, weeks even. I refused to even actually believe that my dream of running the oldest marathon in North America was being shattered. I began calling the Boston Athletic Association to see what could be done. It was so happen, nothing. Come January I set out training like I was in…It was crazy even over optimistic of me but I could not give up the dream. I have come to realize now that many of my besties never gave up hope and knew I would hit the road I was so eagerly after. Thank goodness for their optimism and positive thinking. Early Feb I realized that I would have to set a deadline meaning when I would have to give up on Boston and find another race to satisfy the urge for this year. The thought was heartbreaking but I had to face reality. At that moment I began writing anyone and everyone in the Boston running community. I wrote my story and pleaded with grace in hopes that someone might want to lend me a helping hand or point me in the right direction. Someone finally did! On March 9th 2010 I was told there was one spot on JOSLIN’S TEAM. Joslin’s team is an organization that raises funds for Diabetes Research at Harvard University. The challenge: I had to raise $5000 for this organization by April 30th. I hummed and hawed it for some time and with the push from a true friend I realized with some help from my friends and my family I could do this! That morning I cried tears of utter joy. The Vings and her nation was going to Boston to fulfill a dream and at the same time getting the opportunity to run for a reason, a true cause. Man did it ever feel good. BOSTON 2010 was going to actually be mine. Is there a cloud higher then nine? Because I was there! Heart smiling so big it was laughing with tears streaming down my face.
To read more go to: WOMAN.CA

V.

No comments: