Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Cold and Flu


I have a cold. Perhaps even the flu. And the first thing out of everyones mouth is..."you are pushing yourself too hard" or "You are doing too much". Maybe I am. This past weekend I had a roaring night on Friday filled with fun, friends and probably too many beverages. Saturday morning came fast with a work obligation at 9am. Furthermore, the rest of Saturday was filled with shooting around the city running errands and taking in the lovely day. After a full day, I hustled home to get pretty for a vissy with Dan and Chris then it was off to the Raunchy Review. Luckily, I had made a deal with myself that I would be home in bed by 11pm as I had a 29K run the following morning. I did pretty well and was in bed by 11:18pm..yay me!
Sunday, 7:30am, came more quickly then I thought even with that awesome Saturday night bed time. I was fueled, hydrated and on my bike by 8:05am, headed to The Running Room for my weekly long run. After the run, off to brunch I went where I took in french toast, bacon and even some of Chris' hashbrowns-yummm! And that my friends is when it all started going down hill. Sunday was gorge-even more delightful then Saturday but all I could think about or even stomach was my big, fluffy, king sized bed. So home I went where slumber took over all control of any action. I slept deeply for 2 hours. When I awoke, BOOM, there it was, on me, like a bad rash from a cheap suit, a cold. A crappy, head throbbin, throat soaring, yucky, cold. And that is when the comments began.
Today I came across a very interesting article about Running and the common cold. It states that 30 to 75 minutes of moderate activity does in fact boost the immune system-good news. BUT when going over 75 minutes you are asking a lot of your body and actually your immunity to bacteria and virus' decreases-BAD news. The article suggests boosting your carbs, increasing your supplements, washing your hands, eating properly and getting enough sleep.
Yes, perhaps I am asking my body of too much and Yes, I will it dial down some...But I have followed the rules to an extent and I am about to b,e even more diligent. I learn the hard way-always have, always will. Ask my Dad! Check out the article (click on the title)...OUTRUN THE COMMON COLD
Hopefully I will awake tomorrow feeling fresh, well and Cold-less!

V.

No comments: