Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Magnificent Moby on THE HOUR with STROMBO!











I am going to be honest, [like I am ever not...Anyway...]I like the HOUR. I like George Stroumbolopoulous aka STROMBO. I think he rocks. The Hour is a great show, with great guests and great interviews. I know there are a lot of HOUR & STROMBO haters but I am just not one of them. I have actually had the opportunity to meet Strombo and he was actually quite nice. And he is my neighbor-so there.
So most nights my weekly bed time is 11 pm sharp. At which time, I cozy into my fluffy bed and of course, tune into channel 6, the CBC, to catch my daily dose of the hour. George and his quirky writers always open with some weird off the wall joke about whom is on the show or something that has made the news that day/week. I always laugh out loud. Lately The hour has been graced by some killer guests. Last week Strombo interviewed John Cusak-COOL DUDE as well as the owner/creator of Lulu Lemon-another COOL DUDE. But last night Moby aka Richard Melville Hall graced the Hour's stage. I have never heard or seen a Moby interview. I have only had the awesome op. to hear his music. Let me tell you...MOBY IS a COOL ASS DUDE. He blew me away. I was mesmerized. He is nerdy and awkward but extremely intelligent and aware. He has an interesting history and upbringing furthermore some fascinating stories to tell. Moby... is a rarity in the electronic music world. He started in the early 80's playing with a hardcore punk band - 'The Vatican Commandoes.' And he learned to play the piano and drums - skills that would come in handy as a one man production machine. In the mid 1980s, Moby switched to DJ'ing, and by 1990, he released his first single, 'Mobility.' The b-side to that was a song called 'Go' and went straight to the top 10 in the UK. Then in 1999, Moby hit it big, with his album 'Play.' How big? Try 9 million sold, plus, it became the first album to have all of its songs commercially licensed.












But Moby's not just about the music. He's used his success to fight for animal rights, the environment, and lesser known evils, like road safety in Africa. Plus, he's still making music. His latest CD - called 'Last Night' - comes out in April.

Moby grew up extremely poor in one of the richest areas in the US in a single parent household. He made "GO" in the bedroom of his Brooklyn apartment. He is a smashing success but somehow has kept his cool and not forgotten whom he is or where he comes from.
I like Moby. And I like George. Maybe they are assholes. But I somehow see through that. I see something bigger and better. Maybe that is a terrible quality but I like to think it is a valuable one.
I will continue tuning in. Whatever your thoughts maybe on George I suggest you give him a try. I promise you, Strombo does not disappoint.

To catch the entire MOBY interview on the Hour click the link:
MOBY INTERVIEW on THE HOUR

V.

No comments: