Thursday, November 1, 2007

Run Ving Run!

I am embarking on another adventure that also involves health and wellness. In two weeks time I will officially begin training for a half marathon and I can HARDLY wait. In the middle of October I actually signed up and started a 10K clinic at the Running Room. After running with my group a couple of times I realized that my fitness level was a lot higher then thought. I asked if I could bump up to the half clinic and they said of course. I have continued to join the 10k clinic on their runs but after next week I will begin with the half marathon clinic. The clinic lasts until the end of February and our goal race is the Chilly half Marathon in Burlington on the first weekend in March. The Running Room makes it easy to train with two open runs a week where you can choose what group to go out with plus the clinic run once a week. They also give you a schedule to train by, which is amazing. I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am about this. My love for running has been renewed and I get excited about even the thought of my next run. I will leave you with an interesting thought on the runner:

"Runners may not be any more honest than the rest of the population, but I think they are. You can pretend to be smart or wealthy. You can rent a lifestyle for a week. For a few hours or a few days, you can deceive those around you, and for a while, yourself.
But as a runner, you have to face the truth about yourself on a regular basis, and it makes you more honest. You can’t pretend to be faster than you are. You can’t pretend that you are better prepared than you are. You cannot pretend to be a runner, you actually have to run.
In the end, being a runner is no more complicated than that. To be a runner, you simply have to run. It’s not enough to dream about being a runner. It’s not enough to plan on being a runner. Sooner or later, you have to run.
And if you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."


V.

No comments: